Episode 16: Mymo Special

June 12, 2014

Episodes

Click to Listen: Episode 16: Mymo Special

A very special episode for all the Mymos! In this show we speak with John Larsen about the Taylor Scholarship, and then chat with two Mymos about how the LDS church teaches what we have read so far. Fun, fun times!

No Drinking Game this time… but feel free to drink anyway!

1f37a[1]

Advertisements

Like and Follow

Like and Follow

12 Comments on “Episode 16: Mymo Special”

1. OntheEdgeofMormonism (@awhitneyln) Says:

Great episode! I’m glad you did it. 🙂

• My Book of Mormon Says:

Listen up everyone! The whole idea for this Special was given to me by OntheEdgeofMormonism. It wouldn’t have happened without her! She’s been a GREAT supporter of the show.

Thanks so much for everything you’ve done for the show!

2. Mark Nutt Says:

I don’t know if you’d like the Doctrine and Covenants as much. There’s not really a story to it; its more just a list of, well, doctrines and covenants. A bit like the Koran, actually.

I’d go for the Pearl of Great Price next, its really short (it’d probably only take two or three episodes). and absolutely packed full of crazy! There are a few pictures in the Pearl of Great Price, though, which are kind of the best part, and I have no idea how you’d cover pictures in a podcast!

It took you 14 episodes to get through the first 117 pages (the first two books of Nephi). The whole Book of Mormon is 531 pages long. So you’ve probably got somewhere around 50 episodes left.

3. Scottie Says:

BTW, I LOVE the name MyMo’s. I’m going to start introducing myself everywhere I go now as, “Hi, I’m Scottie The MyMo.” 🙂 Just be prepared though… once you finish the Book of Mormon and D&C and Pearl of Great Price, you’ll need to keep reading Mormon things to keep the MyMo name. Good thing there is an endless supply of Mormon material to read through.

4. Josh Says:

Definitely read the Pearl of Great Price before the Doctrine and Covenants!

D&C really isn’t a story so much as it is glimpses into policy of the Church and historical topics (not the history itself though). Pearl of Great Price lends itself much better to your podcast format. That could even be a break if you get tired of the Book of Mormon.

5. K Klem Says:

Awww…I am so glad I made the podcast. Most excellent (even if it was more to beat me up so to speak). I do enjoy listening and the commentary even if it is wildly off base sometimes. I still am in support the basic goal of reading the BoM cold. I do agree it would be nice to have things a bit clearer and have everything (historically, doctrinally, etc.) wrapped up in a nice little bow. You know, something like a personal Liahona which tells you what to do and where to go. But life doesn’t seem to work that way (with or without God…you pick).

I found this podcast interesting study in group psychology. It’s great to see everyone all chummy when everyone agrees with each other. I’m sure the podcast would have been a real bummer if there were a person who believes the BoM were to explaining what is going on rather than all the stuff going on outside the BoM and why people stopped believing. That’s fine and everything, but seemed to drift away from the whole read and comment only on the BoM content.

Your next project should be Pearl of Great Price. It’s a quick read (basically the first few chapters of Genesis and more backstory on Abraham— which I’m sure you’ll love once you learn about how the book of Abraham came about). You could knock it out in a podcast or two.

Doctrine and Covenants (lovingly abbreviated D&C—a tip of the had to the abortionists out there) is really disjointed. They’re a series of revelations sort of shoved together without much backstory or context. It does not read like a story or even vignettes. It’s more like opening a file drawer and pulling out a memo and reading it and randomly grabbing the next random memo. Even LDS people typically don’t read this like a book because it is so non-liner. I’d like to see you try though. I’m guessing it will be as much fun as reading the Isaiah chapters in 2nd Nephi.

• Scottie Says:

BTW, David, I don’t think the Liahona has even been named yet in the Book of Mormon. That was actually something that struck me as odd as you were reading it. Growing up Mormon, we just intrinsically knew that the “magic compass” was called the Liahona. I had never even realized that the Book of Mormon hadn’t named it (At least not yet).

As for what K Klem says, I completely agree with you, David. Trying to twist what the Book of Mormon interpretation is vs what it says is an exercise in frustration.

“Oh, a curse of dark skin doesn’t REALLY mean dark skin… it just means they had a dark countenance surrounding them…”

“When they talk about horses in the new world, they don’t REALLY mean horses. Most likely they are referring to Tapirs.”

I’m not making this up. Horses were in the Americas until about 50,000 years ago when they went extinct with the Mammoths. There is absolutely ZERO evidence that horses existed in the time of the Nephites, however the Book of Mormon mentions horses multiple times. To get around this, apologists theorize that the Nephites were really talking about Tapirs. This begs the question then, why didn’t God send the word “Tapir” to Joseph Smith when he was translating directly from God?

Which brings us back to your point, maybe God should just say what He means instead of making us jump through mental gymnastics to try and understand what He means.

-Scottie the Mymo

6. Will Roberts Says:

David, you had a conversation in this episode about Joseph Smith’s theology. Grant Palmer, a former LDS historian, did a lecture a few months back about Joseph Smith’s changing theology and uses a number of Book of Mormon references to back it. See: http://mormonthink.com/grant12.htm – starting at point III.

You are right when you say you are seeing a trinitarian view of the godhead in the Book of Mormon. That’s what Joseph Smith believed in the 1820s. As his views changed over the years, he edited the Book of Mormon and other revelations he had. This was a pattern that repeated itself throughout his life as leader of the church.

Loving the podcast! I hope you do take up the D&C and the Pearl of Great Price. We’ll be happy to point out the obvious problems with those books as you get through them (no spoilers here!).

• Jason Says:

Great post, Will. You can also see the development in Joseph Smith’s theology in his different accounts of the first vision. It wasn’t until the 1838 version that he claimed to have seen the Father and Son as two separate beings. In his earlier accounts he claimed to have seen “the Lord”. It was about that same time that he changed several passages of the Book of Mormon to reflect his new ideas (for example, changing the phrase “mother of God” to “mother of the Son of God” when referring to Mary).

7. rnephismith Says:

Big fan of the podcast! If this has not been addressed, the Sherlock Holmes novel you refer to is in fact the first one, A Study in Scarlet.

8. Samuel Aldrich Says:

Great episode, I’m just catching up by listening to and from work. Love listening to your perspective of the BoM and in this episode, hearing the exMo’s talk about their experiences.

9. picassobull Says:

Mr. Michael, you apologize entirely too much. It’s your show — own it and don’t worry about what others think.

Otherwise, I love the show and really enjoyed the ex-mormons take on it.